It’s a new year filled with (among other things) resolutions, presidents, and yes opportunities for scholarships. So we decided to put together a quick list of the Top Five Things you should be focusing on to succeed and win big in the New Year. Welcome to 2017!
- GET ACTIVE! Just like exercising, the more you do it the better in shape you’ll be in. Don’t forget to invest time into searching for new scholarships that you may not have seen last year. It might take a little discipline but remember what Thomas Edison told us that “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
- REDUCE. REUSE. RECYCLE. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel with scholarship applications and essays. Take old writings and repurpose them to fit into the mold of scholarships that you’re applying to now.
- VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME. Not only is it good for the community, volunteering is also good experience to place in scholarship essays and even college applications. Many scholarship applications ask about volunteer experience and what key takeaways people gain. Take some time to give back this year; you never know what you might receive in return.
- BUILD A LIBRARY. Home Depot has plenty of tools you can pull from. We’re just messing don’t build an actual library but take the time to document everything that you do and learn from extracurricular activities and internships to babysitting and 5k’s. Many people don’t know that what seems like a small experience can have big results considering how many different types of scholarships are out there.
- LEARN A NEW SKILL. There are so many new things to learn like how to login to Scholly with your chin (send pics). If you’re not such a risk taker, you could always do something like learn a new language but hey we’re not judging. Learning new skills helps make mental connections between different things that will help you on your scholarship essays. Applications tend to ask students to connect seemingly abstract concepts and learning new skills helps your brain do this in ways you wouldn’t think of.